Wastewater Treatment

As the only nonprofit focused solely on the upper Gallatin River, the Task Force addresses the biggest potential threats to the river, such as wastewater effluent.

In Big Sky and the Gallatin Canyon corridor, wastewater is managed in several ways. Up to 40% of users are connected to centralized collection and treatment through the Big Sky Water and Sewer District, but over two-dozen public water managers and individual septic systems service the other 60%.

Upper Deer Creek After 7
Upper Deer Creek After 7

As the only nonprofit focused solely on the upper Gallatin River, the Task Force addresses the biggest potential threats to the river, such as wastewater effluent.

In Big Sky and the Gallatin Canyon corridor, wastewater is managed in several ways. Up to 40% of users are connected to centralized collection and treatment through the Big Sky Water and Sewer District, but over two-dozen public water managers and individual septic systems service the other 60%.

Task Force on the Case

Upper Deer Creek After 7
The majority of residents in Gallatin Canyon utilize septic systems for treating and disposing of wastewater. As growth in this area continues, we’ll need to adopt a more sustainable approach.
Upper Deer Creek After 7
While centralized wastewater treatment is the best option for river health and water conservation, septic systems will always be a feature of our headwaters community. Ensure you’re doing what you can to be Septic Smart, including regular maintenance and periodic upgrades.
Upper Deer Creek After 7
To avoid effluent discharge into the Gallatin River, water operators use treated wastewater to irrigate public spaces, community parks, and local golf courses. A plant upgrade expands reuse options and conserves water in a variety of ways.

Facts & Figures

  • Big Sky’s new wastewater treatment plant will reduce harmful bacteria in effluent by 90%, phosphorus by 99%, and nitrogen by 99%.
  • Your septic system’s effluent filter should be cleaned every 6 months.
  • Regular septic maintenance is required every 3-5 years.
  • Up to 26 different public water manager operate in Big Sky.
  • Only 40% of residents and businesses are serviced by the Big Sky Water and Sewer District.

HOOKED ON THE GALLATIN

Fundraiser, Celebration & Auction

July 28, 2024

Join us on July 28th to make a meaningful impact in protecting the Gallatin River - your participation is vital to preserving this precious resource for future generations.